Brooke Phillips passes as Milton teammate Dallas Brodhead heads upfield during the Yellowjackets’ 2-1 victory at Missisquoi on Friday. (Photo by Josh Kaufmann)

After suffering a loss to Milton the previous week, Missisquoi looked to redeem itself in Friday’s rematch but came up just short as Milton won 2-1 on Erin Turner’s goal in the final seconds.

MVU had taken a 1-0 first-half lead on Hannah Coburn’s penalty kick before the Yellowjackets came back to tie it up midway through the second half when Dallas Brodhead scored.

With time winding down, Milton recovered the ball after Missisquoi’s Michaela Martin had kicked a long pass up the field to Mikayla Merrill. With the Yellowjackets threatening and the clock under 30 seconds, Brooke Phillips passed the ball to Turner, who shot and scored the winning goal.

“We’ve had some unlucky breaks this year. It wasn’t the prettiest goal, but we will take it, and it was nice to finally have some luck go our way,” said Milton coach Cory Payson, who remarked that Milton’s girls came out sluggish in the first half but improved in the second half and were able to “keep it down in Missisquoi’s territory.”

With Missisquoi backed up into its own territory 15 minutes into the game, Milton gave up a penalty kick that Coburn converted for a 1-0 MVU lead with 25 minutes left in the half.

Following the goal, Milton again gained control and forced Missisquoi back. With three minutes left in the half, Phillips threw the ball in to teammate Ashley Lauziere, who worked it to Madison Loucy for a shot that was saved by Missisquoi goalie Laura Flint for one of her four first-half saves.

Missisquoi spent the greater part of the first half in its defensive half of the field but held off Milton’s. Coming out of halftime, Milton pushed upfield, again threatening to tie the game, getting off five shots on goal within the first 15 minutes of the second half. Brodhead tied the game up at 1-1 with 23 minutes left in regulation, setting up Turner’s final-minute winner.