The Independent gladly accepts submissions of events, engagement, wedding and anniversary celebrations, letters to the editor and potential news stories.
.Letter to the editor
All letters submitted will be sent to Courtney A. Lamdin, executive editor, of the Milton Independent and will be published at the editor’s discretion.
- Letters must be 400 words or less.
- Email letters to email@example.com the Friday before publication at 5 p.m. Exceptions can be made if the editor expects your letter and reserves space.
- Include your full name, phone number and address for verification. No anonymous letters will be printed. You must call to confirm your letter so we can ensure you were indeed the sender.
- Letters should respond to content in The Independent and/or be relevant to our coverage area.
- If submitted from out of town, a letter-writer must establish his or her connection to Milton.
- The Independent will publish comments left on its Facebook wall or to its Twitter account (@miltonindependent).
- The editor will not publish a letter:
- If it is an advertisement or promotes a fundraiser or
- If it contains crude, potentially libelous or uncorroborated material.
- If it is a candidate support letter and comes in the week before an election. We do not print political letters the week prior to elections in order to give opponents time to respond.
- The Independent encourages dialogue. A few things to keep in mind when responding to other letters:
- Public figures, by nature, are more open to public scrutiny, but keep criticism civil and constructive.
- The editor is less likely to print letters that are critical of private citizens. If named in a letter, the subject may respond to it.
- The editor reserves the right to withhold publication of any letter.
Submit obituaries, along with a photo, for your loved ones to firstname.lastname@example.org.