For my Boy Scout Communications merit badge [needed to become an Eagle Scout], I have to write to the editor of my local newspaper sharing my opinion on any topic I choose. I would like to share my opinion regarding … Read more
The democratic primary is taking place on Aug. 28 and it may be the most important race that TJ Donovan will ever take part in! TJ needs to win the race for attorney general in the primary so he can … Read more
Letter to the Editor Policy
As a community newspaper, the Milton Independent seeks to foster constructive dialogue on local issues. Please adhere to these guidelines.
- Letters must be 400 words or less.
- Email letters to firstname.lastname@example.org the Friday before publication at 5 p.m.
Exceptions can be made if the editor expects your letter and reserves space.
- Include your full name, phone number and address for verification.
No anonymous letters will be printed.
- Letters should respond to content in the Independent and/or be relevant to our coverage area.
- If submitted from out of town, a letter-writer must establish his or her connection to Milton/Georgia.
- The Independent will publish comments left on its Facebook wall or to its Twitter account (@miltonindy).
- The editor will not publish a letter:
- If it is an advertisement or promotes a fundraiser or
- If it contains crude, potentially libelous or uncorroborated material.
- The Independent encourages dialogue. A few things to keep in mind when responding to other letters:
- Public figures, by nature, are more open to public scrutiny, but keep criticism civil and constructive.
- The editor is less likely to print letters that are critical of private citizens.
If named in a letter, the subject may respond to it.
- The editor reserves the right to withhold publication of any letter.
Effective: June 13, 2013