One reward of working in education is the excitement in the schools each August as we get ready to welcome students. New families bring their children in to register. Staff members reunite after the summer break. The schools get a … Read more
I was honored to first be nominated and then receive the Milton Community Champion Service Award at National Night Out earlier this month. It’s a pleasure to serve the community in ways that I feel are important, contributing the strengths … Read more
A note of thanks to Nathan Lavallee and Will Sanderson for quickly resolving a minor water issue at our home. Kevin & Mary Ellen Stanley Milton
I am a member of Gun Sense Vermont, and I attended the rally regarding universal background checks held on the Vermont Statehouse lawn on August 4. A large crowd gathered to listen to all of the Democratic candidates for governor … Read more
We would like to thank all who contributed to making Georgia Public Library’s 120th Birthday Celebration a success. Thanks to the generosity of area businesses, volunteers and presenters, the day was filled with something for everyone and raised over $900 … Read more
I want to thank the voters of Milton for the support given to me in the August 9 Senate Democratic primary and for coming out to vote in such large numbers. With 11 qualified candidates, it was indeed a competitive … Read more
I would like to thank everyone that helped and contributed to one of the best funerals ever that laid my wife, Elsie J. LaBelle, to rest. She was a great lady, wife, mom, nanny and great nanny. Thanks to Minor … Read more
The family of Phyllis Ryan Everest would like to express our sincere thanks to all that came to our home to pay their respects, for the abundance of food and for the beautiful flowers and lovely cards with warm sentiments. … Read more
Letter to the Editor Policy
As a community newspaper, the Milton Independent seeks to foster constructive dialogue on local issues. Please adhere to these guidelines.
- Letters must be 400 words or less.
- Email letters to firstname.lastname@example.org the Friday before publication at 5 p.m.
Exceptions can be made if the editor expects your letter and reserves space.
- Include your full name, phone number and address for verification.
No anonymous letters will be printed.
- Letters should respond to content in the Independent and/or be relevant to our coverage area.
- If submitted from out of town, a letter-writer must establish his or her connection to Milton/Georgia.
- The Independent will publish comments left on its Facebook wall or to its Twitter account (@miltonindy).
- The editor will not publish a letter:
- If it is an advertisement or promotes a fundraiser or
- If it contains crude, potentially libelous or uncorroborated material.
- The Independent encourages dialogue. A few things to keep in mind when responding to other letters:
- Public figures, by nature, are more open to public scrutiny, but keep criticism civil and constructive.
- The editor is less likely to print letters that are critical of private citizens.
If named in a letter, the subject may respond to it.
- The editor reserves the right to withhold publication of any letter.
Effective: June 13, 2013