We are writing with information on the Annual Georgia Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony. This year the parade and ceremony will be held on Saturday, May 17 (the weekend before Memorial Day). The parade will begin at 10 a.m. at … Read more
The Town of Milton Recreation Department would like to take a moment to thank all who attended the annual egg hunt at the Middle Road playground at Bombardier Park on Saturday, April 19. Although having to dash through raindrops, children … Read more
Don Turner Chittenden-10 Milton This is the point in the session where it actually feels like we are moving closer to adjournment. Bills are beginning to move from one chamber to another more frequently. This also signals the start of … Read more
To the members of the Milton community, I would like to take this opportunity to share some exciting news and events happening across the Milton Town School District. Study Island Study Island is an online product designed to help students … Read more
By BOB KREBS Grand Isle-Chitt. For the last several weeks, the bills on the floor for action seem to all revolve around money (surprise, surprise??), and how to (or not to) allocate our limited resources to the many needs of … Read more
Mark your calendars everyone. Saturday, May 3 is Green Up Day. This year marks the 44th anniversary of this unique Vermont tradition. Green Up Day is about community spirit to clean up Vermont. As always, Milton’s Green Up Day will … Read more
CCTA’s mission is to promote and operate safe, convenient, accessible, innovative and sustainable public transportation services in the northwest and central Vermont region that reduce congestion and pollution, encourage transit oriented development and enhance the quality of life for all. … Read more
As many in the community know, our family home burned to the ground on Wednesday night, April 9. The fire was attended by the men and women of the fire companies of South Hero, North Hero, Grand Isle and Milton, … Read more
A great big thank you goes out to all who helped out with Spirit Night. It was a great success. We sold out the auditorium both nights, and it brought us closer to our fundraising goals for Project Graduation. We … Read more
Milton requires its residents to register dogs. Registration requires proof that the dog has had rabies shots. The cost of registering a dog is $10 if you can show a certificate that it has been spayed or neutered and $16 … Read more
Letter to the Editor Policy
As a community newspaper, the Milton Independent seeks to foster constructive dialogue on local issues. Please adhere to these guidelines.
- Letters must be 400 words or less.
- Email letters to email@example.com the Friday before publication at 5 p.m.
Exceptions can be made if the editor expects your letter and reserves space.
- Include your full name, phone number and address for verification.
No anonymous letters will be printed.
- Letters should respond to content in the Independent and/or be relevant to our coverage area.
- If submitted from out of town, a letter-writer must establish his or her connection to Milton/Georgia.
- The Independent will publish comments left on its Facebook wall or to its Twitter account (@miltonindy).
- The editor will not publish a letter:
- If it is an advertisement or promotes a fundraiser or
- If it contains crude, potentially libelous or uncorroborated material.
- The Independent encourages dialogue. A few things to keep in mind when responding to other letters:
- Public figures, by nature, are more open to public scrutiny, but keep criticism civil and constructive.
- The editor is less likely to print letters that are critical of private citizens.
If named in a letter, the subject may respond to it.
- The editor reserves the right to withhold publication of any letter.
Effective: June 13, 2013