We’re nearly finished July and that can only mean one thing: It’s time to stop procrastinating and start getting serious about summer school assignments. Despite what your kids might tell you, all Milton Middle and High School students are required … Read more
I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your participation in the Milton Independence Day celebration. The event was a success and a wonderful celebration of this special day in our history. The Milton Firefighters Association Inc. is … Read more
I am reaching out to the community to locate members of the Class of 1976. I am having difficulty finding email and mailing addresses for some of the graduates. Please reach out to friends and family members that graduated in … Read more
Milton High School Class of 1975 is having difficulty finding email or mailing addresses for the following classmates: Brian Arey, Andre Bedard Verdun, Leslie Benoit, Sharon Gross Norwood, Gerald Hayden, Ida Kilburn Westover, Rodney Lapan, Douglas Laughlin, Annette North, Kevin … Read more
A special thank you to Milton Rescue for the excellent job done by all rescue personnel and immediate family in our time our need with “Aunt” Betty’s passing. A special thank you to Donald Turner Jr., Rod Moore and Steve … Read more
So last month the school budget passed by a small margin. I wonder if it was because the administration did not tell the truth of what it is going to cost the voters in the Superintendent’s Desk column last month … Read more
The family of Nancy L. Sarven, 5/2/40 – 6/14/15, wishes to thank their relatives and friends who reflected on her life. Your sympathy and thoughtfulness will always be gratefully remembered and deeply appreciated. The Family of Nancy L. Sarven
Vermonters are generally known for keeping to themselves, not getting into their neighbor’s business and respecting each other’s privacy. Gay Vermonters are no exception. For the last eight years, I have kept my personal life and opinions separate from my … Read more
The Milton Family Community Center’s school supplies program is one of the many amazing programs at MFCC. This program was a lifesaver for my family because we have very little money to be able to get supplies for school. My … Read more
Letter to the Editor Policy
As a community newspaper, the Milton Independent seeks to foster constructive dialogue on local issues. Please adhere to these guidelines.
- Letters must be 400 words or less.
- Email letters to email@example.com the Friday before publication at 5 p.m.
Exceptions can be made if the editor expects your letter and reserves space.
- Include your full name, phone number and address for verification.
No anonymous letters will be printed.
- Letters should respond to content in the Independent and/or be relevant to our coverage area.
- If submitted from out of town, a letter-writer must establish his or her connection to Milton/Georgia.
- The Independent will publish comments left on its Facebook wall or to its Twitter account (@miltonindy).
- The editor will not publish a letter:
- If it is an advertisement or promotes a fundraiser or
- If it contains crude, potentially libelous or uncorroborated material.
- The Independent encourages dialogue. A few things to keep in mind when responding to other letters:
- Public figures, by nature, are more open to public scrutiny, but keep criticism civil and constructive.
- The editor is less likely to print letters that are critical of private citizens.
If named in a letter, the subject may respond to it.
- The editor reserves the right to withhold publication of any letter.
Effective: June 13, 2013