It’s two weeks until Valentine’s Day and love, or at least chocolate, is in the air. Whether you think it’s a fake holiday to pad Hallmark’s coffers or a time to celebrate those we care about, it’s difficult to avoid … Read more
I would like to thank the town of Milton for keeping the Bombardier Park ice rink operational. Mother Nature is not always the easiest to work with, but the town has done a great job keeping the ice smooth this … Read more
To the Milton community, I want to take this opportunity to share some exciting news and events happening across the Milton Town School District: FY 16 School Budget The MTSD Leadership Team and School Board are working diligently to prepare … Read more
The Milton Early Education Program is our publicly funded preschool located at Milton Elementary School. Our program provides preschool education services for over 100 children ages 3-5. We are accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children, … Read more
Ho ho ho! The Town of Milton Recreation Department would like to thank all who participated in the “Letters to Santa” project this year! A big thank you to the 125+ children who took the time to write letters, draw … Read more
The holidays are upon us, and between the gift shopping, driveway shoveling and in-law visiting, there isn’t a moment to spare. Hectic schedules aside, we at the library strongly suggest taking a couple minutes to yourself during these busy times … Read more
To the members of the Milton community, I would like to take this opportunity to share some exciting news and events happening across the Milton Town School District: Community Dinner MTSD hosted our second community dinner on November 17. Steve … Read more
Letter to the Editor Policy
As a community newspaper, the Milton Independent seeks to foster constructive dialogue on local issues. Please adhere to these guidelines.
- Letters must be 400 words or less.
- Email letters to email@example.com the Friday before publication at 5 p.m.
Exceptions can be made if the editor expects your letter and reserves space.
- Include your full name, phone number and address for verification.
No anonymous letters will be printed.
- Letters should respond to content in the Independent and/or be relevant to our coverage area.
- If submitted from out of town, a letter-writer must establish his or her connection to Milton/Georgia.
- The Independent will publish comments left on its Facebook wall or to its Twitter account (@miltonindy).
- The editor will not publish a letter:
- If it is an advertisement or promotes a fundraiser or
- If it contains crude, potentially libelous or uncorroborated material.
- The Independent encourages dialogue. A few things to keep in mind when responding to other letters:
- Public figures, by nature, are more open to public scrutiny, but keep criticism civil and constructive.
- The editor is less likely to print letters that are critical of private citizens.
If named in a letter, the subject may respond to it.
- The editor reserves the right to withhold publication of any letter.
Effective: June 13, 2013